Straight Outta Gallifrey: The Twin Dilemma

Who wants to talk about The Twin Dilemma? Like, ever? I'm sure that was the challenge Straight Outta Gallifrey's Ashford Wright had in finding someone to talk to about the Sixth Doctor's unloved first story, but as per the podcast's mandate, it HAD to be covered since it features a (non-Doctor) Time Lord. I don't know if I was his last recourse, but I don't mind. I love talking about Doctor Who and yes, there ARE things to like about The Twin Dilemma. Have a listen and tell me I'm wrong.

It's all at Straight Outta Gallifrey, under Episode 55: The Twin Dilemma

Thanks Ashford! Some will say I was cursed to have to do this one, but I'll always feel blessed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm going to go on record that I love "The Twin Dilemma". It has a lot going against it, including the hot sexy violence against Peri. So why do I love it?

Because, if you've been watching Peter Davison for years, just sort of standing there and delivering lines ... watching Colin Baker is a treat. He is constantly trying to make himself worth watching. He's talking fast, or moving his hands, or practically dancing at points; this is an actor who wants you to be engaged. Man, that's a breath of fresh air.

I don't mean to trash Peter Davison, because his Doctor was as valid as any. He just ... tended towards the quiet a bit too much for a science fiction / action series.

Also, I think it's easier to be forgiving of Colin Baker's bristly unpleasant Doctor in retrospect. Besides the fact that he has been superseded and therefore he's not our future, we are a lot more accustomed these days to highly flawed lead characters. I've heard it said that "Seinfeld" is what broke the mold on that one: the leads on "Seinfeld" are all selfish jerks, but we want to watch because we can at least relate to them. Since then we have had lots and lots of deeply flawed leads; we've come to expect it in fact. So against that backdrop, Colin Baker isn't so bad.

This is not to say that "The Twin Dilemma" doesn't need some work. First thing I'd fix: somewhere in the episode, the Doctor needs to really really risk his life to save Peri, and then make some sort of apology to Peri or pledge that he was insane then and is better now.

The greatest thing "Thw Twin Dilemma" offered as potential, some of it actualized, some of it merely hinted at. It's a shame the show didn't quite deliver on all of it.