5 Things to Like About West Coast Avengers #1

Category: 5 Things to Like
Last article published: 29 September 2010
This is the 21st post under this label
I don't normally read new comics these days, but this article demanded I should. And last week saw the release of a brand new West Coast Avengers title. Now, I don't know about you, but back in the day, I liked the West Coast Avengers much more than the East Coast team, and it became the basis for my undying love of certain characters, Hawkeye in particular. So if you're gonna try to sell me a WCA title that's essentially a comedy, I'm gonna be buying. Thanks, Kelly Thompson! Oh, and Stefano Caselli's art ain't bad either. But let me just drop five reasons to live the first issue (there are more, but I'm trying to avoid major spoilers).

1. Hawkeye is the leader
But not Clint. Kate Bishop. But he's around too. So two Hawkeyes for the price of one, and I like them both. And I especially like Clint deferring to Kate this way. There's nothing wrong with allowing a younger hero to lead an older one, especially since Clint has been such a screw-up at times, and Kate has a leader's personality. Yes, she ends up with a ragtag kind of team, but it's hers. And having her boyfriend Fuse in there is a great take on Hawkeye having his wife Mockingbird in the original team. Man, I miss Mockingbird.

2. Kate and Shark Week
The teaser opening has land sharks. LAND. SHARKS. And Kate apparently watched Shark Week because she's full on useful knowledge about the water-based species she uses to resolve the situation. Great stuff.

3. Tigra is in it
Kaiju Tigra. 'nuff said.

4. Gwenpool's promise
I don't know Gwenpool except by name, but having a version of Deadpool, who Kate acknowledges thinks she's in a comic book just like her male counterpart, promises meta-humor, and that's my jam. Not that we see it here. The comedy's mileage varies (I think I may have seen the Mystery Men audition scene too often already), but there are some fine jokes in the book, and strong potential for more (the camera crew following the team, cuz this is L.A., providing a This Is Spinal Tap tone to the proceedings, for example).

5. Subliminal messages
Our politics align.

Hey, is Master Pandemonium still around? I've got a ventriloquist dummy story about his demon arms to pitch...

Comments

LiamKav said…
I've heard nothing but good things about the Gwenpool comic from people I trust, so it's on my list to read next.

"America, no" is second only to "Please, Britain, stop" as my current political thoughts.
RB said…
I like Gwenpool.