oHOTmu or NOT Ep.37: Foolkiller to Dominic Fortune

One who doesn't suffer fools lightly. A mutant inventor. The basis for many mythic heroes. A 1930s adventurer. Which are Hot, which are Not? Listen to the Girls, they know!

Featuring permanent panelists Elyse, Isabel, Nathalie, Josée, Amélie and Shotgun.

Listen to Episode 37 (the usual mature language warnings apply) by clicking HERE!

Or you can right-click “download”, choose “Save Target/Link As”, and select a location on your computer to save the file (33 MB).

Or subscribe to oHOTmu OR NOT? on iTunes!

You can follow along! Here are the characters we cover in this episode.
 
 
 
 
Credits:
"Can You Dig It?" (Theme for oHOTmu or NOT?) by Brian Tyler.

Bonus clips from: "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers; Star Trek: The Next Generation's "Encounter at Farpoint", starring Brent Spiner and Jonathan Frakes; "Stan's Rants" with Stan Lee; "Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone" by Glass Tiger; "Swashbuckler" by James Goldstone, starring Robert Shaw; "Rocky III" by Sylvester Stallone, starring Mr. T.

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Comments

Mike W. said…
Yeah, the hologramic discussion was illuminating; Siskoid, I think that's the closest I've ever heard to you being frustrated.

As for the content, another great show. I agree on Foolkiller's costume, especially the black highlights on his torso. I used to think that was part of the costume until I realized it's just supposed to be shadows. I'm surprised Forgotten One was so forgettable, and I loved your explanation for Forge's sorcery ("It's X-Men.") As for old Dom Fortune, I think his weird jacket (and facial expression) are Chaykin trademarks, as they seem to appear on pretty much every character he draws (Blackhawk, American Flagg, Cody Starbuck, etc.)
Siskoid said…
Closest to my true self. You should see what's on the cutting room floor.
I'd love to hear what was on the cutting room floor. I was getting frustrated on your behalf!

As for the rest of the episode, I had to go on a Google search to try to find anything out about Foolkiller's belt. From the picture in OHotMU, I figured it was supposed to be two guns pointed in opposite directions. But, then you look at other artist interpretations, and you get everything from a shellfish looking-thing, to what appears to be a genie's lamp!

And like Mike W. said, Dominic Fortune is very much a Chaykin character. I appreciate him as a creator, but I've never gotten into his art style, so I'd love to see Dominic re-interpreted by a different artist. I think Chaykin was going for an Errol Flynn look, but it's just a little off.

Oh, and on the subject of Fortune, Dominic...as someone who is and is the roommate of a person whose legal name is David, but goes by a different name, I completely understand. David is just way too common. Many of us have to go by a different name just to avoid confusion!