Selection Sadness Saturday

So last week I put an end to the Krypto series that had been going on for the past 100 Saturdays, and I did so without knowing what woud come next. And I still don't. Allow me to think out loud here, pondering the future of the Saturday feature.

One of the things I'm not necessarily keen on is just moving on to another Superman Family character. Before Krypto, Saturdays belonged to Jimmy Olsen, and before that, it's where Reign of the Supermen settled down after a year of daily content. A natural might have been Streaky - I'm more of a cat person than a dog person - but the super cat and dog shared so many adventures, it would mean revisiting a lot of them. I'm burnt out on the Superman Family for now.

Another idea was inspired by my One Panel feature. THAT series showcases one panel per comic ever published by DC Comics (and its constituent companies). What if I read an entire comic from every distinct title ever published by DC and talked about it weekly? Well, if One Panel taught me a lesson, it's that this kind of thing is very slow indeed, especially on a weekly basis. I'm still in 1941, for God's sake! If I were to read one issue of a different title each week, I would get mired in long Golden Age books chronologically, or in the Batman books alphabetically, even if I were to eschew mini-series and specials.

A much better take I'm considering is using Saturdays to continue Who's This? Whereas the Who's Who-centric feature previously only looked at obscure characters, it might be fun to do them all, alphabetically, taking one story from each one's canon (prior to their appearance in Who's Who) and discussing it, from Abel all the way down to Zyklon and beyond. That's probably my front runner right now, let me know what you think.

There are other ideas, of course. My roommate wanted to collaborate on a project and suggested I describe movie posters verbally, allowing her to recreate the poster based just on the description. Graphically inclined, it wouldn't require a whole lot of energy on my part, though it may be dangerous to rely on another person (I already sometimes feel like I'm bugging Shotgun for Legion Reboot reviews over at the Legion of Super-Bloggers, no matter how committed she is). I also thought of delving into my hundreds of role-playing game manuals to do a Monster of the Week feature (not just limited to D&D either), but I'm not sure what that would look like.

And as the first Saturday feature indexed Rom Spaceknight, there was always the possibility of choosing a similarly vintage series and doing the same - Micronauts, Shang-Chi, Arak Son of Thunder (or Marvel's Conan, while I'm at it)... Everybody's probably got an opinion, so let's have it.

By next week, my decision will be obvious.

Comments

tomg said…
If you are looking for readers' input, I really like the "Who's this' idea.

I don't know if you're looking for other ideas, but last week when you mentioned the end of Krypto's run I thought of something that might be an interesting project; categorizing non-sentient alien life in the DC silver (or golden) age. Trying to make sense of evolution based on artist's conception of alien life could prove challenging but fun! And there would be a lot to choose from.
Matthew E said…
Ever want to do something Atari-Force-related?
Siskoid said…
I covered Atari Force in a single post: http://siskoid.blogspot.com/2011/12/old-52-atari-force.html
Anonymous said…
Every character in the DC Universe in a diaper with tiny baby legs.