The Kirby Art Gallery

Category: Galleries
Last article published: 3 March 2017
This is the 9th post under this label

You crack open a copy of TwoMorrows' Jack kirby Collector, and you never know what treasures you might come across. Let's try it together. All images from issue 37 (Winter 2003).

The cover features Captain Glory, inked and colored by Jack Kirby. As originally designed in the mid-60s, he would have been called Captain Victory, but Kirby used that name in the 80s for a different character in a series for Pacific Comics. When Topps wanted to work with him, he re-baptized the old design and made him a headliner.
I'm not expert on Marvel in the '70s, and if it wasn't one of HIS series, I probably don't know which books he a single cover for. I don't think I even knew Marvel Chillers existed, much less that it was the home of one of my favorite Avengers - Tigra! Kirby drew the cover for #7.

An oddity... an unused page from Destroyer Duck (1982):
The following piece was made for an animation company as part of a presentation, the light pencils in the sky asking for Thor to be inserted into the picture. Looks like Thor never got there and the giant snake had its way with... Tokyo?
And the back cover features another take on Captain Glory, this one in watercolor, potentially made in the '70s and found in his storage space by his archivists.
Obviously, the magazine has tons of articles, with piercing analyses of Kirby's style (both art and story), influences and. in turn, influence on others, interviews with the King and the people who worked with him, and features tracking even his most obscure work. Every issue, the mag managed to find more to say, and more to show, of Kirby's work, and I'm very happy to have the few issues (and collection) I do have.

Comments

tomg said…
Gorgeous art~
And that Marvel Chillers cover is really doing its job. If I had seen that on a spinning rack in my local drug store in the 70s, I definitely would have picked it up! Even now I want to know how Tigra could possibly beat the Super Skrull with or without Red Wolf,