One Panel #501: The Faces of the Underworld

From Midnight: "The Case of the Yehudi Murder" by Jack Cole, Smash Comics #20 (January 1942)

Jack Cole was not a lazy artist, let me tell you. There's really no reason to draw allllllll those faces in the splash panel except a love of craft. Cole draws just shy of 200 criminal faces (190, I counted). Being a crook seems to be a white male profession, and it's probably better than way as there's one horrid racist caricature  between the "I" and the "G". There's also a possible female-presenting character in there, but only one. Other Where's Waldo challenges include an eye patch, a couple of bandages (they've obviously met Midnight before) and one guy who looks like he has horns.

Comments

Bradley Walker said…
Is it wrong that I can't see the name "Dave Clark" without adding "Five"? Probably just shows my age...

Sketch on Jackie Gleason. He's a cop interrupting a dinner between a little guy and a woman of size.

The woman says, "Ringo and I were..." and Gleason reacts big. "RINGO???" He looks at the woman and asks, "Who are you, the Dave Clark Five?" (For the record, her name was Zsa Zsa.)