Spring Cleaning: The Spider-Cup

Category: Spring Cleaning
Last article published: 30 July 2018
This is the 16th post under this label

Just to show you how my mind works... I once found an Armored Spider-Man action figure in a parking lot, all scuffed and lonely. That was... oh, must have been the mid-90s. I threw him in a drawer for "later use". The summer before the pandemic, my rowdy friends decided they wanted to play organize a small kickball tournament during a picnic. No way were we enough to manage this (no more than 8, as I recall). So I did my thing where I make up rules for something, and seeing as I'd done all this work, I decided to put my friendly neighborhood Spider-Man to work. I grabbed a comfy cardboard corner (what appliance it was padding for has been lost to memory - but I have four, so I could "build" on it, if I wanted) and made a quick trophy, writing Spider-Coupe (coupe is cup in French) on the front in clumsy felt tip. I went on to not win the trophy (I'm the guy who fell on his tailbone landing on a base), but a tradition was born.

Now, every time we have a competition of some kind, the Spider-Cup is up for grabs. Sometimes, I can't win it, because I organized the event - like our Groundhog Day treasure hunt (find all the pictures of groundhogs hidden throughout the house!) - sometimes I can (like my friend and neighbor Clo's birthday game shows (at least, that's what happened the last two years). When will the Spider-Cup be put back into play? No one knows! Video Game Olympics? Board Game Fever? Weaponized Trivia? Gulp - sportsball?! We'll see! But perhaps it's time I put a second level on this bad boy!

Comments