One Panel #783: The Atom - Baseball Fan

From The Justice Society of America: "The Man Who Created Images!" by Gardner Fox and Joe Gallagher, All-Star Comics #15 (February 1943)

The thing about the JSA you need to understand is that there was a lot of PAPERWORK. Al Pratt had to send a letter just so he could miss a meeting, and though he blames crime on his absence, he's really just gone out to see a baseball game, hasn't he? Upon reception, JSA Secretary Wonder Woman probably sent him a memo about there being no hyphen in her name. I would also have included a note about getting a typewriter or something, but as EVERY JSA member sends her just such a letter in this issue, and they're all handwritten, that's probably a lost cause.

At least it's brief. Most of the Society seem to be journaling through inter-office mail.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love Al Pratt. He actually cares about what kind of father this baseball player is. If someone is going to be taking the law into his own hands and punching people in the head for justice, I want him to have Al Pratt's priorities.
Anonymous said…
Oh, this is Captain Entropy, by the way.
Siskoid said…
I think it's "terrific batter".
Anonymous said…
Oh, great BATTER! I totally misread that. You're right, Siskoid! Wonder Woman should make them use typewriters. Regardless, Al Pratt is still awesome. I stand by my intent, if not my literacy.
Dick McGee said…
I've read period novels and newspaper articles from the 1940s that seriously suggested that typing was woman's work, something unfit for a red-blooded American male. One novel's lead character used the fact that a crime suspect could type as an insult, and the target took offense at it resulting in a fistfight. I think Diana might have an uphill fight getting the rest of the JSA to imperil their manhoods for her convenience. :)

The past is alien and often ugly country.