It's October! What a great time to talk about monsters from horror games! Let's start with a Lovecraftian horror I've used a few times myself...
Monster: Mi-Go (Fungi from Yuggoth)
Game/Product: Call of Cthulhu/S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu MonstersWriting: Sandy Petersen. Art: Tom Sullivan
Origin: These fungal flying crustaceans are straight out of Lovecraft. Mi-Go are first named as such in the short story "The Whisperer in Darkness" (1931). They are described in this story as "fungi" that come "from Yuggoth," so their actual origins are in references to alien vegetation on dream-worlds in Lovecraft's sonnet cycle "Fungi from Yuggoth" (1929–30). The Field Guide therefore refers to them as Fungi from Yuggoth instead of Mi-Go. Yuggoth is Lovecraft's name for Pluto.
Fear Level: Despite their very weird appearance, the Sanity loss they cause is relatively minor. Still, where a lot of Lovecrafian creatures slink in the dark underground, death from above has its own flavor of terror, and the Mi-Go are more alien than the Byakhee, for example, so I think they're scarier, even if they're less dangerous.
Danger Level: Again, not the most dangerous of Lovecraft's creations, but still a potent mid-level threat for Investigators. They're thoroughly alien, but can speak human languages. They mine Earth's mountains, but can fly through space. Impaling weapons do little damage to them because they're essentially made of organ-less mushrooms. They can cast spells and their science can create new forms for themselves. I think players are likely to think them more dangerous than they really are just by virtue of their appearance.
Famous examples: The Mi-Go are described at length in "The Whisperer in Darkness" (the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society produced a film based on the story in 2011, and the BBC produced a 10-part radio podcast version in 2019). The game has several scenarios that use the Mi-Go; a personal favorite in the Strange Aeons, an adventure that takes place on a Moonbase in the near future. (In a non-COC adventure I ran, one player jumped and rode a Mi-Go... not Lovecraftian, but very memorable.)
I wonder if: There were Mi-Go in the Northern Appalachians where I grew up?
Monster: Mi-Go (Fungi from Yuggoth)
Game/Product: Call of Cthulhu/S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu MonstersWriting: Sandy Petersen. Art: Tom Sullivan
Origin: These fungal flying crustaceans are straight out of Lovecraft. Mi-Go are first named as such in the short story "The Whisperer in Darkness" (1931). They are described in this story as "fungi" that come "from Yuggoth," so their actual origins are in references to alien vegetation on dream-worlds in Lovecraft's sonnet cycle "Fungi from Yuggoth" (1929–30). The Field Guide therefore refers to them as Fungi from Yuggoth instead of Mi-Go. Yuggoth is Lovecraft's name for Pluto.
Fear Level: Despite their very weird appearance, the Sanity loss they cause is relatively minor. Still, where a lot of Lovecrafian creatures slink in the dark underground, death from above has its own flavor of terror, and the Mi-Go are more alien than the Byakhee, for example, so I think they're scarier, even if they're less dangerous.
Danger Level: Again, not the most dangerous of Lovecraft's creations, but still a potent mid-level threat for Investigators. They're thoroughly alien, but can speak human languages. They mine Earth's mountains, but can fly through space. Impaling weapons do little damage to them because they're essentially made of organ-less mushrooms. They can cast spells and their science can create new forms for themselves. I think players are likely to think them more dangerous than they really are just by virtue of their appearance.
Famous examples: The Mi-Go are described at length in "The Whisperer in Darkness" (the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society produced a film based on the story in 2011, and the BBC produced a 10-part radio podcast version in 2019). The game has several scenarios that use the Mi-Go; a personal favorite in the Strange Aeons, an adventure that takes place on a Moonbase in the near future. (In a non-COC adventure I ran, one player jumped and rode a Mi-Go... not Lovecraftian, but very memorable.)
I wonder if: There were Mi-Go in the Northern Appalachians where I grew up?


Comments
Post a Comment