This Week in Geek (15-21/06/09)

Buys

I couldn't resist the Scarecrow from Human Nature! But this is probably the last wave of Doctor Who action figures I get until the Series 4 set gets off the back order list at the store I deal with here in Canada. (Promises, promises.) This Series 3 set includes Martha, a bespectacled Doctor, a Judoon Trooper, Dalek Thay with his ass hanging out, Lilith the Carrionite, and the aforementioned Scarecrow.To pad out my order, I grabbed a couple of discounted figures: Dr. Constantine (comes with a second, Empty Childed, head) and the Master in his Prime Minister clothes.

"Accomplishments"

Gaming: A month and a half ago, I started Grand Theft Auto IV from scratch in the hopes of more systematically getting it up to 100% so that I could buy The Lost and the Dead expansion with a clear completist's conscience. Furthermore, I tried to set it up so that the 100% would be achieved with the very last mission, which meant doing all the extras that went towards completion before then. I'm happy to report that I hit the magic number in that very way yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the memories, Niko.
DVDs: I also flipped Supercop this weekend, a film I'd originally seen in a theater, but that I was happy to rediscover in the original Chinese. NOT in the original Hong Kong cut, however, as Bey Logan's as-usual interesting commentary reveals. I'm disappointed that Dragon Dynasty couldn't get the rights (I assume) to both versions. Still, a little of Jackie Chan's slapstick goes a long way, and there was apparently a lot more of it in the Hong Kong version. In the 90s, I went to see this film for Jackie. Today, I'm watching it for the wonderful Michelle Yeoh (despite intentions, everything about this movie screams that SHE is the title Supercop, sorry Jackie) and Maggie Cheung, in a thankless role, on whom I have something of a crush. Great action, and any weaknesses in the plot are forgiven by the end of the film's 15-minute action finale. Maybe it's because I wished for a GTA: Hong Kong game earlier this week, but Supercop was VERY GTA-ish. Man, they need to make that game. Oh yeah, the DVD also has interviews with the stars, director and a stuntman.

Links: Not me linking to someone, but someone linking to me, that I found hilarious... I think they should have read beyond the word Honeymoon. Check it out in the comments to this post.

New Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG cards: Only 3, getting them in under the wire after stripping The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky. More from that story during the week.

Someone Else's Post of the Week
The blogosphere is about to be abuzz with the return of Steve Rogers as Captain America, if it isn't already, but my neighbor to the south, Rachelle Goguen from Living Between Wednesdays, has already locked up the prize for best post about it.

Comments

Bill D. said…
There was a movie released direct to DVD here in the States about 10 years back called Supercop 2 that was just Michelle Yeoh, so I think you're on to something there!
Siskoid said…
Yes, AKA Project S.

To me, that nailed it.